• Fundraising Achievement Unlocked!

    We did it! Thanks to the generosity of so many, including Taber Cares, who matched the donations that put me over the top today, I hit my $2,500 goal for my Tour Alberta for Cancer ride!

    I am so very excited to announce that, as of today, I’ve hit my goal for my Tour Alberta for Cancer fundraising campaign! The key was Taber Cares, which held a donation matching event for up to $200,000 in donations to ride participants. Between my own self-donation, a couple of timely contributions from folks in my network, and the equivalent matching donations, all those funds pushed me over the top!

    Of course, the fundraising doesn’t stop there. While reaching the $2,500 goal secures my participation in the in-person ride, I will certainly keep pushing to raise even more, as every dollar to the Alberta Cancer Foundation funds critical programs here in the province.

    Continue reading...
  • Kindness of strangers

    We had the privilege to witness the 2024 eclipse in beautiful Durango, Mexico. To get there we took a bus from Mazatlán, and it did not go as planned, as a four hour trip turned into an eighteen hour ordeal; an ordeal that became one of my favourite parts of the trip as we experienced, first hand, the wonderful kindness of strangers.

    A photo of Lenore and I on the side of the road.  I'm holding up both hands indicating how long we were told we'd be waiting.  It took much longer.

    After traveling to Utah to view the annular eclipse in November, an experience that was absolutely incredible, both because of the eclipse itself and because of the people with whom we shared it, Lenore and I knew we had to travel somewhere to view the great North American total eclipse of 2024. After looking at cloud coverage maps, it didn’t take long to make our decision: we needed to go to Durango City, Mexico.

    Now, despite being a location of deep and fascinating history, beautiful architecture, and delicious food, Durango isn’t exactly a common tourist destination, which means, in the past, traveling there would have been a bit challenging. Fortunately for us, ten years ago a brand new highway was opened that connects Mazatlán to Durango, turning what was once a 7 to 8 hour journey across a highway colourfully referred to as The Devil’s Backbone into a 3-4 hour trip through 63 tunnels and across one of the highest cable-stayed bridges in the world.

    Realizing this, we came up with our plan: we’d fly into Mazatlán, spend a couple of days there, and then take a bus to Durango the day before the eclipse, tour around that afternoon, view the eclipse the next day, and then return to Mazatlán the day after and enjoy a few more days of sun and sand before flying home.

    I would’ve never guessed that bus trip would turn into one of my favourite memories from the trip. And not for the reasons you’d expect.

    Continue reading...