This is hands down one of my favourite side dish recipes, and not just because I have a terrible weakness for potatoes. The thyme and bay leaf add a fantastic depth of flavour, here. Pair this with Glazed Ham for a fantastic holiday meal.
|2 T||Unsalted butter|
|1||Medium onion, minced (~1 C)|
|2||Garlic cloves, minced|
|1 T||Fresh thyme, chopped|
|1 1/4 t||Salt|
|1/4 t||Black pepper|
|2 1/2 lbs||Russet Potatoes (~5 medium), peeled and sliced, 1/8” thickness|
|1 C||Low sodium chicken broth|
|1 C||Heavy cream|
|4 oz||Cheddar cheese, grated (~1 C)|
- Adjust oven rack to middle position, and pre-heat to 425F.
- In dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat until foaming subsides.
- Add onion and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, cream, and bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low until potatoes are almost tender.
- Transfer to greased 8” baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese and bake until cream is bubbling and top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.
No webmentions were found.