|60 g||Pancetta, cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|1||Small onion, chopped fine|
|2||Carrots, peeled and chopped fine|
|3 cloves||Garlic, sliced thin|
|1 T||Fresh rosemary, minced|
|1 T||Tomato paste|
|3 C||Chicken broth|
|1 C||Dried brown lentils, rinsed and picked over|
|1 lb||Sweet italian sausage|
|1/2 C||Fresh basil (optional)|
- Cook pancetta in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until fat is rendered and pancetta is crispy, about 6 minutes.
- Add onion, carrots, garlic, and rosemary, and cook until vegetables have softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth, lentils, and bay leaf, scraping up the fond.
- Nestle sausage into lentils and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender and sausage registers at least 160 degrees, about 40 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue cooking to reduce liquid to preferred consistency (a little broth is nice, though!)
- Remove skillet from heat and transfer sausage to cutting board.
- Stir in basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer sausage to carving board and cut into 1 inch slices along the bias.
- Place sausage on top of lentils and serve.