|1 lbs||Ground pork|
|1 lbs||Ground beef|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|1 T||Olive oil|
|28 oz||Tomato sauce|
Prepping the cabbage
- In a stock pot, place a couple inches of water and bring to a hard simmer.
- Cut the bottom core out of the cabbage, place in the pot, and cover with a lid.
- As the leaves steam and soften, remove and let cool.
Preparing the filling
This recipe uses partially cooked rice as part of the filling, with the remaining cooking occurring during baking.
- Partially cook the rice:
- Put the rice and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes, until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and fry until translucent. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a bowl combine pork, beef, onions, rice, 3-4 T of tomato sauce, a squeeze of lemon, a dash of worcestershire sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix to combine.
Preparing the cabbage rolls
Note, this recipe tends to make enough to fill a 9x13” and a 9x9” pan.
- In a bowl combine the remaining tomato sauce, a squeeze of lemon, and a dash of worcestershire sauce.
- In a baking pan pour a small amount of sauce to coat the bottom of the pan.
- For each leaf of cabbage, using a paring knife, pare away thick portion of stem.
- Take a handful of filling, compress into a ball, and wrap, and place in the pan.
- Repeat until the pan is filled.
- Pour remaining sauce over the cabbage rolls.
Cooking the cabbage rolls
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Bake until the filling reaches 165F.