Posts in category 'diy'

    • I finally got the tools and swapped my own winter tires this year. It was the greatest sense of real personal accomplishment that I’ve felt in a long time…

    • I fried my WASD keyboard with a static shock and considered building a new controller based on the wasdat (https://github.com/evyd13/wasdat) only to discover the ATMEGA32U4-AU has a 1 year lead time. Thanks chip shortage!

    • Upside to building a keyboard: I ended up with the skills to fix the broken tilde on the WASD mechanical I have at home. Cause: fried diode after a massive static shock.

  • Minor MythTV Mupdate

    Well, things are a bit stalled on the MythTV project, now. The Fedex guy came and took away the dead motherboard that was originally destined for the Living Room Frontend, so now begins the great EPIA Return Saga (tm). If all goes well, I’ll have a new board in a few weeks, with minimal fees in the forms of duty or taxes. I remain skeptical.

    On the bright side, the IR receiver and blaster units arrived, so I’ll probably play with those this weekend. They look very well made, so I’m hopeful that they’ll work as advertised. ‘course, I was also hopeful that my EPIA board would arrive fully functional…

    Meanwhile, the backend continues to work well. I continue to record The Daily Show and The Colbert Report during their late night showings on CTV (aka, channel 2, aka, one of the few basic cable channels I can currently access with Myth), and it seems to be doing the job quite nicely. I’ve also been noodling around with different plugins on the frontend, such as MythMusic and MythVideo, and everything seems to work as advertised.

    Thus far, the only glitch was a period where the frontend started to stutter and generate prebuffering errors, but that could be related to running over a lowly half-duplex, 10 Mbs connection.